(This post is a slight reworking of a post from the Graduate Center Library blog.)
This week, October 19-25, is International Open Access Week, an annual opportunity for students, faculty, and other researchers to learn about open access (OA) to scholarly literature, find out how to make their works OA, and help make OA the new norm in scholarship and research. (Read more about Open Access Week and about OA in general.)
Of course, CUNY is a very big place, and we like to think big. So here at CUNY, it’s not just Open Access Week but Open Access Month: Numerous CUNY librarians are making a point to promote understanding, acceptance, and adoption of OA alllll monnnnnth looooong. (Actually, we’re always happy to talk about OA — any day, any week, any month, any year!)
During Open Access Week/Month, you might hear about open access from many sources:
- From your scholarly society: For example, both the Modern Language Association and Society for Cultural Anthropology embrace OA in word and action.
- From prominent journals in your field: Philosopher’s Imprint, eLife, and PLOS Medicine are just a few top-tier journals that are OA, and most subscription-based journals allow authors to make their own articles OA.
- From friends or colleagues on Twitter: See what’s being tweeted with the #openaccess, #opendata, and #oaweek hashtags. And be sure to follow @CUNYWorks to find out about fascinating OA works created by CUNY researchers and shared on CUNY Academic Works.
Once Open Access Week/Month has whetted your appetite for OA, join the Graduate Center Library for workshops addressing two key aspects of OA: Does my publisher allow me to share my work (i.e., make it OA)? And if so, how and where am I allowed to share it?
Find out the answers to these and other questions at the following workshops, each offered twice — click the links to learn more and RSVP (non-GC folks are welcome to attend too!):
- Who Owns Your Journal Article: You or the Publisher?
- Academic Works Upload-a-Thon
And it’s not just the Graduate Center Library that’s offering workshops! See the calendar of CUNY events for Open Access Month and its aftermath (scroll to the bottom of the page to see the calendar) and avail yourself of an event on your campus or a campus that’s convenient for you!